Honey, I got us pinned to the anchor of a power boat

{Pictures to come later. Our camera cord is MIA}

On Sunday, we persuaded our friend Tim of Windhorse to come with us for our last sail of the season and to top off our diesel tank. The wind was W/SW 10-20 knots, with gusts up to 30 knots. I thought we could use an extra hand with departure and docking. Little did we know how much we would need his help.

The wind in the Boston Harbor puffed and batted us like a cat’s paw. We put up Jib number 2 (the last one we tried) and a reefed main. Later, we took down the main and sailed jib and jigger so that the kids would feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, lil’ man O was a bit more needy than usual. All of his canines and molars were on the move under his gums. With eight teeth coming in, he was one cranky baby, so I was on mother duty almost the whole time.

After the sail, we motored up to Mystic Marine to top off our fuel tanks. It was the first time we had filled up since we bought the boat. 20 gallons for the whole summer. Not too bad.

Heading back to the marina, we worked out Plan A and Plan B. As we entered the marina, the wind lightened up a touch. With O strapped to my back, I was ready to help fend off. As we approached our finger pier, Tig turned to port to swing our stern in. Nothing happened. The wind kept pushing Wildest Dream, with her acres of freeboard, into the docks. The bow started for Dan’s boat’s transom. I hurried over to place a fender between.

In hindsight, if we had stayed calm and took a time out, we might have decided to pull ourselves forward and let the stern swing into our slip with the wind and current. But we didn’t. Instead, the boat was put in reverse and in slow motion, I saw a rather large anchor come through the lifelines and hook under our starboard cleat. Luckily, Tim, who is six foot tall and built like a woodsman, came and helped push off.

I switched places and scrambled to the helm while Tim and Tig pushed and pulled our boat into the next slip over, bow in. Meanwhile, the rumors flew down G dock, faster than the 30 knot winds that day. Big boat in trouble, women and children in danger.

What the heck, I say, better to end the season with a bang than a whimper.



3 Replies to “Honey, I got us pinned to the anchor of a power boat

  1. Ever since we got the boat loaded for cruising (and added to it’s windage) I have been having a devil of a time with docking. This last time there were a good 20 people watching as I totally biffed the docking. I used to be an absolute pro, backing in every time and just nailing the landing with ease. As long as nobody got hurt and the boat didn’t get damaged, it’s all a learning experience.

    1. After licking our wounds, we had a good laugh about it. I’ll be paying more attention to the docking and maneuvering class at the New England Boat Show this winter.

Comments are closed.