We’ve been having a spectacular ice storm the past few days. Birches bend at the waist, oak trees groan under heavy blades of ice. As breathtakingly beautiful this crystalline world looks, I have to admit I’m really struggling this holiday season…to be as joyful as I know I should be…to be the parent I want to be. I can feel my soul bending under the ice.
Today was the first day that I felt better, more like myself again. It took several weeks of examining all the parts of my life. It took:
- putting together a self-care plan
- cutting back on outside work
- admitting I couldn’t do it all and be a calm, patient mother
- getting some alone time
- asking for help to get said alone time
- journaling a ton
- doing The Work
- getting in a few walks a week
- accepting that am a creative rainbow mother, not an earth mother by nature
- questioning my expectations of my children
- getting out to the thrift store–got a few games and books to combat cabin fever
And lastly, cutting myself some slack.
Food for thought.
The weather forecast says sunshine up ahead.
Here’s to a sunnier tomorrow.